Barnhall was built in 1925 opposite the Boathouse and was used as the Estate Office until 1975 when it was converted and greatly extended to become a Cafe and Restaurant.
In September 2007 it also had a Collectors and Antique Emporium added. In September 2012 the entire cluster of buildings by now much decayed and altered from the original were demolished and replaced.
Design and Facilities
The New Buildings also built as a cluster with clear visual recall to the form of original Estate Office, offer a 50-60 seater Cafe/Restaurant with front garden and views, a large Collectors and Antique Emporium and ten studio flats. The beach is some 50 yards away.
The Ground floor commercial space arrangement conjoins the Cafe/Restaurant and Emporium as visitors move freely between both uses.
There are several spaces for bicycle parking in and around the building. There is a communal laundry room fitted with a washing machine and tumble dryer. The residential units are accessed by one of two step free entrances and are totally separate from the commercial ground floor uses.
The construction is a designed, factory fabricated, sustainable wood structural system, which is then clad with insulation and finished with Render and detail or boarding. The system is a modern derivation of the original building concept – timber frame and sheeting
– as commissioned by the Ogilvie family.
The new buildings completed in December 2013 are ecologically sound, fully compliant and as ‘Green’